It is tough for a movie to successfully entertain, educate and inform the viewers of genuine social issues while winning awards. Danny Boyle’s Slumdog Millionaire, this year’s winner of the Best Movie Oscar Award, does all of this beautifully. But we need to learn the right lessons. Maybe I am reading too much into the movie but then the specific changes made by Boyle to the original story in the book and the criticism by the Hindu extremists leads one to think if that is really the case. Here are the 10 questions asked to Jamal, the hero of the movie. Each question symbolizes the issues Indians face on a daily basis. Correct answers are in bold. Continue reading
We are tired by now of hearing the the claim from the Israelis – “What would America do if it came under rocket fire from Mexico?” Lets look at the facts:
- 94% of Mexico is not under a 43 year occupation that is considered illegal by EVERY country in the world. Palestine is.
- There are no illegal settlements throughout Mexico with checkpoints preventing people from going to work, school and hospitals. In Palestine there are. These checkpoints cause immense human suffering including numerous deaths.
- Mexico’s land, air and sea ports are not under full blockade, virtually putting an end to all travel and trade. Gaza’s are.
- Palestinians are allowed to use 83 cubic meters of water per person annually while Israelis enjoy 333 cubic meters per person from the same sources. In Mexico, that’s not the case.
- Mexico has a Navy, Army, Airforce, heck it is functioning a country. Gaza is nothing more than a tiny ghetto.
- United states will not kill 1% of Mexicans which is more than a MILLION people. But Israel killed about 1400 Gazans (1% of the population).
The number of Israeli dead in 8 years of rockets from Gaza are about the same number of dead Israelis from a weekend of traffic accidents = four.
The missiles being fired by Hamas cannot be simply dismissed as terrorists acts without seeing the desperation of the Gazans.
By Edna Canetti
[Edna Canetti wrote this for MachsomWatch. Her piece was translated from Hebrew by George Malent.]
Obama my dear, they tell me that you are going to change the world. Do me a favor, come and change my life personally.
Come to Israel, grab its stupid leadership by the throat and take its foot off the neck of another people. Come and force us to do what is clear, and written, and fitting, and necessary, come and get us out of the Territories, if necessary do it with a smile that reveals million-dollar teeth. If necessary bare your teeth and force us to do it. Continue reading
By Subhash Gatade
25 August, 2008
Two bajarangdal leaders were killed while 2 others injured on 24 August when they were making bombs in Kanpur in the Indian state of Uttar Pradesh (UP) as reported by Urdu daily Rashtriya Sahara in its front page. According to Sahara, the blast was so strong that the wall of the room in which the blast occurred collapsed. In other rooms, the walls were damaged. Pieces of glass were strewn everywhere.
The bomb blasted in a house in Rajeev Nagar area on Sunday afternoon. According to the report, the police recovered 3 kg lead oxide, 500 g red lead, 1 kg potassium nitrate, 11 country made grenades, several bomb pins, seven timers and batteries from the spot. According to the IG, “The recovery shows that a massive explosion was on the cards.
Read more here: